As the summer sun glistens this morning, I am drinking my strong cup of tea on our deck and the tantalizing aroma of fresh blueberry muffins being baked to perfection fills my kitchen.
I love summer fruit and of course blueberries, they say, is a strong anti-oxidant. They also help strengthen the brain–which I really need these days!
Creating a happy home for your family involves feeding the soul. But, beginning each day with a warm, fresh, daily bread to excite the taste buds gives everyone a wonderful start to the day. Great food and the wonderful fragrance of something baking in the oven, pre-disposes all of those in my home to have an open heart to my messages. As we eat these wonderful muffins, I will share the words that Jesus used to encourage me this morning and I know all hearts will be open to my messages because their stomachs and tastebuds will be satisfied and happy! Heart, body and souls satisfied all at once!
This delicious recipe will definitely warm and delight your soul.
From my soul to yours:
* 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
* 3/4 cup brown sugar
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1/3 cup vegetable oil
* 1 egg
* 1/3 cup milk or 1/3 cup vanilla yogurt
* 1 cup fresh blueberries (you could also use frozen)
* 1/2 cup white sugar
* 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
* 1/4 cup butter, cubed
* 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon (very important!)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease muffin cups or line with muffin liners.
2. Combine 1 1/2 cups flour, 3/4 cup sugar, salt and baking powder. Place vegetable oil into a 1 cup measuring cup; add the egg and enough milk to fill the cup. Mix this with flour mixture. Fold in blueberries. Fill muffin cups right to the top, and sprinkle with crumb topping mixture.
3. To Make Crumb Topping: Mix together 1/2 cup sugar, 1/3 cup flour, 1/4 cup butter, and 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon. Mix with fork, and sprinkle over muffins before baking.
4. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until done.